Sunday, June 26, 2016

Ozette Triangle - June 24 - 26, 2016

End of Day Two
Christina and I were joined by Don and Nisa Heggenes as well as Quinn and Caldwell Clements shortly after the school year ended for the Ozette Triangle hike.

On Friday, we hiked out to Cape Alava on the three mile boardwalk, with a few stops to get readjusted, shed layers, and view open prairie. During one memorable stop, we witnessed a group of four deer. They seemed completely indifferent to our presence. Although we see many deer on Whidbey Island, it's always a treat to see them up close in a different setting.
Deer Grazing - Cape Alava Boardwalk
At Alava, Caldwell spotted a decomposing sea lion. Quinn and Donald helped him remove a couple canine teeth. There seems to be negative karma associated with this disturbance. In the process, Quinn catapulted purified brain on his shirt. All had to dig into the baby wipes in an attempt to rid themselves of that zombie smell associated with death. Shortly after, Donald sat directly in bird doo. The coast teaches many lessons.
First Campsite
We camped about one mile south of Alava. The site was just north of Wedding Rocks. The water source was adequate, the camp open and light.

I was wide awake at about two in the morning. After letting some air out of my mattress, I was more comfortable and quickly went back to sleep.

Christina and I didn't roll out of bed until nine o'clock Saturday morning. Everyone had been up for awhile. We made instant oatmeal, had a few Poptart knockoffs and enjoyed chatting with the group around the morning fire.
Posing at Petroglyphs - Wedding Rocks
We packed our bags and hiked south to the petroglyph site at Wedding Rocks. There are still many examples that are visible, but the coastal conditions are having an obvious impact.

While taking a break on the large Sand Point rock, I spoke with two hikers who had spent the night on the shores of Lake Ozette. They had ditched their canoes at the lakeside trailhead and walked to the coast through the woods. I was surprised to hear that there are many camps on the lake; I am interested in exploring them. Adventure perpetuates adventure.
Top of Sand Point
A group of eight twenty-somethings passed us on the flat, sandy stretch south of Sand Point. Donald found out that they were camping at Yellow Banks for the night. We decided it best to stay at the large South Sand Point site. Cedar Creek is my favorite spot to camp on the coast. South Sand Point is a close second.

After setting up our tent, Christina headed down to the beach with the others. I filtered water and had a bite to eat. As the majority of the group drifted off to sleep, I scampered up the bluff, climbed in my hammock, read for awhile and drifted off to sleep. It's easy to find satisfaction on a coastal adventure.
Two Fires
After waking, I joined the group at the fire. We chatted and watched the sun sink into the Pacific. Glorious. I ended up staying by the campfire until eleven-thirty. There are certain moments that are worth holding on to.
Meeting Place - South Sand Point
After a relatively restful sleep, Christina and I woke around eight o'clock. Everyone else was up and moving. We had a bite, packed our bags and hiked the four-and-a-half miles back to the cars. On the hike, I spotted two eagles perched comfortably close in a Spruce tree overlooking the shoreline. I was happy to share this experience with my partner, Christina.

In the immediate future, I truly hope to adventure again with this particular group. Thanks for the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment